Friday, April 06, 2007

QotW10: My holiday headache in Second Life

QotW10: My holiday headache in Second Life

This was perhaps one of the most interesting and memorable blog assignments that we had in a while besides joining Twitter and setting up a blog. (I personally thought setting up a blog was more interesting than Twitter!)

This week, we had to join Second Life (SL) and try it out. It was quite fun exploring SL, as I was luckily to have only minor lagging. But, I got giddy since I'm not used to playing RPG! Anyway, here's my avatar in Second Life:

Introducing: Velvet Villota!

I created my avatar on 4th April 2007. The reason why I chose her name was simply because she represents the "face" for this assignment and perhaps, the avatar to this blog. Villota, her surname, was chosen among the list of many last names since it complemented "Velvet". As for her likeness to myself, I leave it up to you to decide! Haha! :P

When I logged into Second Life for a second time, I was wondering how come it was so dim. I thought that it was due to the settings of my monitor. Then I figured SL probably had night and day time too! Hahaha!

Yes! YOU can fight the moonlight! :P

While playing around the options, I found this option called "Force Sun" and it was nice n sunny at 8.20pm! Not recognizing where I was, I looked around and found that I was on Help Island, facing the Freebie store...

Help me on Help Island!

After getting some stuff in the Freebie Store, I realized that the terrible thing was that when i changed outfits, my avatar had no Hair!! So i decided to stick with the current look.

Flying around Help Island was interesting but it was more comical to see Velvet land, especially if the vertical distance between the landing place and altitude you were at was large!

I found a "clone" who looked like me and she gave me some tips on where to go and we chatted for quite some time before finding out that she had been around for a few months.

Elke Shepherd and Velvet Villota

She recommended that I check out Roma (Rome) and Koma, which is a Hawaiian Village. I went to both places but didn't see anything interesting. So i headed to Paris 1900 instead!

Oppz! I blinked!@

I'm actually standing in front of Moulin Rouge but the sign is blocked since there were Easter eggs holograms and flowers bubbling out from the building next to it.

Inside Moulin Rouge

I teleported to Japan after this but I could not find the same place that Carol went to and ended up in Japan Resort, which was my final destination.

Ah! Getting to rest my weary feet!

Ending my holiday with a beautiful sunset...

Overall, I spent around 2 hours using SL from customizing my avatar; giving Velvet wings to changing her outfits, to exploring other parts of SL. It was really an interesting and a large place to visit! I do hope to explore more next time and perhaps by then, UB-SIM would be up and running for all of us to have virtual lessons in one of the classrooms!


No comments: